Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Hair Reduction can help you achieve permanent reduction of unwanted hair.
Through a series of treatments that can take as little as 5 minutes. Our IPL hair removal system works by emitting pulses of intense light into the hair follicles. The dark pigment in the hair follicles absorbs the intense pulsed light and converts it into heat which destroys the hair follicles permanently.
You will notice visible results from the first session and after each session your hair will become finer, lighter in colour and slower growing. After each session your hair will begin to fall out within 8 – 21 days.
Hair grows in 3 phases. IPL can only treat the hair within one of these phases called Anagen. This is when the hair is growing and there are actively dividing cells in the hair follicle.
There is only a certain percentage of hair in anagen phase, roughly 20% at any one time. This is why IPL must be performed over a number of sessions with a specific time intervals between treatments to achieve the best result.
Our therapists have completed accredited training and are IPL Laser Safety Officers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How many sessions of IPL Hair Reduction will I need and how often?
The number of sessions required depends on your hair and skin colour, and how your body responds to the treatments. On average 6-10 treatments will be needed. One touch up is needed each year to keep smooth hair free skin.
The length of time the hair is in the growing phase will differ on each region of the body. This determines the ideal time between each treatment session.
Facial Hair is treated every 4-6 weeks
Body Hair is treated between 10-12 weeks
Treating hair sooner than the recommended intervals will be ineffective and more sessions will be required.
Q. What do I need to do prior to IPL Hair Reduction treatment
- Do not use fake tan for 10-14 days prior
- Avoid sun exposure 4 weeks
- Use an SPF 30+ daily
- Do not wax, tweeze or pluck the hair for 4 weeks prior to your treatment, the hair follicle needs to be intact to be treated
- Shaving or depilatory creams are fine and you will need to shave the treatment site before your IPL hair removal session
- If you have a history of herpes close to the area being treated, it is recommended that you take antiviral medication before the treatment (this will be available from the chemist)
- It is recommended that a test patch be performed within 3 days of your treatment. In some cases for small areas, treatment may be done on the day.
Q. What do I need to do post IPL Hair Reduction treatment?
- Use a gentle, cleanser and moisturiser
- Avoid the use of active ingredients such as retinol, glycolic acids, perfumes and alcohols. Supportive post treatment, as well as maintenance skin care products are available at the clinic, and can be purchased on the day of your treatment if you don’t have appropriate products.
- Your skin will be more sensitive to the sun so keep sun exposure to a minimum. You must wear SPF 30+ sunscreen and a hat daily. This should be a daily routine for you anyway
- Do not exfoliate the skin for 1 week after the treatment
- Avoid getting your skin hot for at least 24 hours. No hot showers, saunas, steam or strenuous exercise
Continue your usual skin care routine once the skin is no longer sensitive.
Q. Is IPL Hair Reduction suitable for me?
There are contraindications that may mean IPL is not suitable for you, these are listed below:
- Recent sunburn, unprotected sun exposure or solarium use 4 weeks prior to treatment
- History of seizures
- Accutane use in the last 6 months
- Herpes within the area to be treated
- Very dark skin, Fitzpatrick type V AND VI
- White, grey and red hair
- Photo sensitizing medications
Q. How much does IPL Hair Reduction cost?
IPL test spots are charged a $40 fee which is reimbursed on your first treatment.
Please click here to see our full treatment menu and price list